Ice Cream

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. " -- L.P. Hartley, in The Go-Between (1953)

Moderator: Mark Llew

Ice Cream

Postby Mark Llew » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 pm

Our favourite place for ice cream treats was Noble’s Dairy, at the corner of Maple Avenue and Guelph Street. There was a long counter with seats, like a diner, where you could sit and have a milk shake or a sundae. As I recall, sundaes were 25 cents in the 50s and early 60s. My own favourite was strawberry, but chocolate was good too – can’t remember if there were any other flavours. They were made with a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream in a conical sort of glass, with lots of strawberry jam/syrup around the ice cream. On top there was whipped cream, covered with chopped nuts and topped with a maraschino cherry. You ate it with what looked like a long-handled teaspoon. Yum

But if you were more adventurous, there was the banana split. A banana was sliced down the middle length-ways, and the two halves placed in a shallow boat-shaped dish. Between the two pieces of banana were 3 scoops of ice cream (I think you could choose the flavours). Then there was a couple of kinds of syrup drizzled over the top of the ice cream, then (of course) lots of whipped cream, with chopped nuts topping and finally the ubiquitous cherry. Thirty-five cents, and worth every penny.

I’m sure that somewhere someone still makes these things, but I myself haven’t sent either for donkeys' years. Maybe in Erin. Peeb?

But these concoctions, desirable as they were, were only an occasional treat – 25 or 35 cents was a lot of money in those days.
:amen:

What we usually had was a straightforward ice cream cone. One scoop for 6 cents, in a conical cone and two scoops for 10 cents in a stubby flat-ended ‘cone’ that you could momentarily stand up on the counter. Butterscotch was my usual flavour, 9 times out of 10, but sometimes it was strawberry or a more exotic flavour – like orange or banana.

But Noble’s wasn’t the only place. There was also Steen’s Dairy, which we resorted to if we were downtown and didn’t want to wait until we got to Noble’s. One of my fond memories is of Mr Foster (of Foster’s Bicycle Shop on Maple Avenue at Mountainview), sitting at the counter eating a sundae, his spoon in his right hand and his ever-present thick stogie in his left !
:lmao:
Mark Llew

Re: Ice Cream

Postby John_Bailey » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:40 am

I remember that cigar. Funny how something like that sticks in your head. He must have been a very impressive man, I only met him a couple of times about 60 years ago but I still have a clear picture of him in my mind.
On the other hand you and PB have faded like a pair of old socks.
John_Bailey
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark Llew » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:34 pm

Sometimes my Mum would send me up to the IGA to buy ice cream for supper dessert.

It came in small bricks in a cardboard package, which my Mum carefully unwrapped and then sliced into pieces to serve. Usually it was Neapolitan. At the time, that was an extremely common flavour, but now I don't see it around much.
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:40 pm

And then there was the ice cream sold by places that weren't really in the ice cream business.

Take Davidson's pharmacy, on Guelph street near Barrager's cleaners. You could get an ice cream cone there -- but the ice cream itself came as a little cylinder wrapped in cardboard. The counterperson would unwrap it and stick it into a cone. So you would then walk around eating this cylinder sticking out of a cone. It was a little weird, but better than NO ice cream !

They also sold little tiny pre-packaged tubs of ice cream with a little strawberry or chocolate syrup included, which you ate with a little wooden spoon.

Nowadays, I can't imagine anyone bothering with a serving of ice cream that small! Mind you, they only cost 10 cents... worth about $1.50 now I would think
Mark Llew

Postby Mark Llew » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:51 pm

John_Bailey wrote:I remember that cigar. Funny how something like that sticks in your head. He must have been a very impressive man, I only met him a couple of times about 60 years ago but I still have a clear picture of him in my mind.
On the other hand you and PB have faded like a pair of old socks.

Yeah, he was a very nice, decent man. I would drop into his workshop to buy ball bearings for my bike or to ask advice or whatever, and he was always very patient and helpful. He sold me the best bike that I ever owned. It was a one-speed 28-inch Phillips, made by Raleigh, with the usual coaster brake. That bicycle rode like a charm and was sturdy, durable, and relatively lightweight. I had never heard of the brand and was a little leery, but he convinced me to buy it and it turned out to be terrific.

But his workshop was small and chaotic ! And therefore very impressive to a young boy. Especially when he unerringly found whatever it was he happened to be looking for !
:lol:

And I never ever saw him in his workshop without his cigar -- that was what was so funny about him eating the sundae in Steen's dairy ! !
Mark Llew

Postby John_Bailey » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:14 pm

Usually it was Neapolitan

I ate the chocolate and vanilla, everyone else could share the strawberry, it was awful stuff.
John_Bailey
Forum Moderator

Return to A Foreign Country?