Sure is quiet in here ...

Read Only - Includes messages from both "The Anything Forum" and "The Good Morning Forum".

Sure is quiet in here ...

Postby Barry Jowett » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:16 am

I'm guessing people are still finding their way to the new home.

In the meantime, here's some food for thought:

One day, somebody somewhere came up with the lyrics to "Jingle Bells, Batman Smells". Now there's something I'll bet you never considered.

And that person is probably pretty darned proud of themselves. After all, they composed a classic parody, one that is sung by smart-alec kids around the world every Christmas. Even Bart Simpson sang it!

But at the same time, that person can never lay claim to his/her composition, because no one would ever believe their claim.

The same holds true for the addition of the lyric "like a light bulb" to "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer". (Which, coincidentally, Bart Simpson also sang.)
Barry Jowett

you're right Barry

Postby colbuki » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:57 am

I never really thought of it before but you're absolutely right. Chances are the author of Trick or Treat, smell my feet isn't widely known either.

Isn't it a wonder how all the smart alec kids in the world all know the songs and nobody taught them. Do you think it is passed down through the generations through the genes? innate knowledge is a powerful thing :mrgreen: (that's just cause you like him LOL)
colbuki

Re: you're right Barry

Postby Barry Jowett » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:06 pm

colbuki wrote:I never really thought of it before but you're absolutely right. Chances are the author of Trick or Treat, smell my feet isn't widely known either.
Maybe it was the same person. He/she may also have written "Joy to the World, the Teacher's Dead".

Again, a ditty that made it to The Simpsons. I think our songwriter is a bit of a sellout.

I was wondering about "Going Down the Gutter like a Soggy Piece of Butter". I don't think it's the same person behind that one, though. Gutter appears to be an original tune, not just a re-worded parody.

No idea how these songs have such staying power. I guess each year young kids learn them from the older kids, and the songs just stick around. Classics like these never go out of style.
Barry Jowett

And what's the next line?

Postby Petitbois » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:15 pm

Along the same line:

As a young kid in Downsview, before moving to Georgetown, kids on my street used to chant: "Liar Liar, Pants on Fire......"

I'm curious as to what YOU learned as the next line.

Peeb
Petitbois
Forum Moderator

Postby Barry Jowett » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:30 pm

In Georgetown, we would advise you to "hang yourself on a telephone wire". What was it in Downsview?
Barry Jowett

Liar Liar

Postby Petitbois » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:33 pm

Barry Jowett wrote:In Georgetown, we would advise you to "hang yourself on a telephone wire". What was it in Downsview?

They'd chant: "Hang Your Guts on the Telephone Wire!"
Not quite as genteel as a Georgeown kid!
PB
Petitbois
Forum Moderator

Postby Barry Jowett » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:39 pm

That's enough to make one steer clear of Downsview.
Barry Jowett

Liar, liar, pants on fire.....

Postby Lisa Copland » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:30 pm

Nose is as long as a telephone wire!

A tribute to Pinocchio, I believe! :D
Lisa Copland

Postby Barry Jowett » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:44 pm

Hey, that's probably what the original line was supposed to be.

Well, for lack of evidence to the contrary, we'll assume that Lisa wrote the song, since she knows the proper lyrics.

Did you write "Jingle Bells, Batman Smells", too? If so, should it be "And the Joker got away" or "and the Riddler got away"? The debate rages!
Barry Jowett

Jingle Bells

Postby Lisa Copland » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:44 pm

Jingle Bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg, Batmobile lost a wheel and the commissioner broke his leg.

Now the kids at school sing the last line as the commissioner does ballet.

I prefer the leg/egg version as I like my stanzas to rhyme!
Lisa Copland

Christmas ditties

Postby jester1-2 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:03 am

I heard this one when I was a kid but can't remember where. It's a bit risque so if you are underage read it with your eyes closed so as not to cause offense,

Good king Wencelas looked out of his bedroom window
Stupid f***** he fell out on a redhot cinder.
Brightly shone his b**** that night though the frost was cru-el
Stuck them in the kitchen sink To-oo-oo coo-oo-el.
jester1-2

Postby Al Darby » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:17 am

J12

A "sneaky" way to hide text, is to change the colour to white. Then tell the reader to hold down their mouse key and select the "Hidden" text, to view it.

Select the next line of text:
This is a sample of "hiding" text.
Select the above line of text.

As you can see, it doesn't work so well on a "grey" background. :)
Al Darby

hidden text

Postby jester1-2 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:24 am

Oh dear. I think you may have let a cat out of the bag here.Justimagine what is going to be hidden now.. Of course that's if I can get it to work.
jester1-2

A "sneaky" way to hide text, is to change the colo

Postby Gloria Jones » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:05 am

Hey Al: Thanks for the tip, I will have some fun with that one. :D
Gloria Jones
Forum Moderator

sneaky text

Postby jester1-2 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:30 am

See, I told you so. It will be blank screens all round now. Anymore secrets Al? Flashing words, moving pictures or possibly sound effects? Gosh the thought of it makes me all dizzy. :shock:
jester1-2

Re: sneaky text

Postby Al Darby » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:17 am

jesteronetwo wrote:See, I told you so. It will be blank screens all round now. Anymore secrets Al? Flashing words, moving pictures or possibly sound effects? Gosh the thought of it makes me all dizzy. :shock:
J12,

That's the closest to "Gee Whiz" stuff allowed. HTML is blocked, as it could present a security risk and "destroy" the page format for the boards.

Also, having run one of these boards on my own site, it wouldn't be appropriate to "lead you astray". :twisted:
Al Darby

Hide & Seek

Postby Kim Zuraw » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:34 pm

In the same vein of "Liar,Liar"...

Playing Hide & Seek - What did you say when it was time for all the kids to come out of hiding?

I had no idea what I was actually saying but it sounded like this:
"Olly, Olly Oxin Free" I always thought later it may have be a take on "All ye, All ye out come free" and was just cut down after a bizillion years? *shrugs*

ETA: I think we said "liar, liar pants on fire, hanging from a telephone wire"
Kim (Daquano) Zuraw
Class of '88
Kim Zuraw

Postby Barry Jowett » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:25 pm

Hmm ... now I'm curious about that one. I wonder what the original words were before it was distorted. I suspect you're right about the "All ye" at least, and the rest makes sense.

We actually said it a little differently. "Olly, olly, umcum free". When I heard kids from other neighbourhoods use the word "oxin", I felt like I'd entered a new world!

But it looks like "umcum" also works with your "out come free" theory.
Barry Jowett

Postby Barry Jowett » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:35 pm

Just did a google to try to unravel the Olly Olly Mystery.

It seems etymologists are uncertain of where it comes from. I saw one site where someone suggested it is a perversion of the German phrase "Alle alle alle sind frie", which means "all are free".

Other versions of the chant:

Olly olly octen free
Olly olly out come free

I suspect that the "umcum free" was our own peculiar distortion of the latter phrase -- which goes to show how easy it is to distort a sensible phrase beyond recognition.
Barry Jowett

Postby Kim Zuraw » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:53 pm

Barry Jowett wrote:We actually said it a little differently. "Olly, olly, umcum free". When I heard kids from other neighbourhoods use the word "oxin", I felt like I'd entered a new world!

Too funny. We were only a few streets over on Irwin but a "world" away when you are little.

Did anyone play kick the can or SPUD? Gosh if I can actually remember how to play them now. We do however play capture the flag with the neighbourhood kids now. Some parents get old far too quickly...like lumps on a log. PLAY with your children people. I mean c'moan they are young for only a short period of time. We also play hide and seek too.
Kim (Daquano) Zuraw
Class of '88
Kim Zuraw

Postby colbuki » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:21 pm

Kim Zuraw wrote: Some parents get old far too quickly...like lumps on a log. PLAY with your children people. I mean c'moan they are young for only a short period of time. We also play hide and seek too.

OK caught me... I'm a playing parent too... for that matter my kids have playing grandparents too. I don't know who has more fun playing my kids or my mom when they're playing.

We play hide and seek, don't know kick the potato but it sounds fun.

My only wish is for more time to play all the games... in these busy times I'd like to spend a whole day just playing games and in the rush it is easy to forget to stop and smell the candy.

Daniel is getting to be a ripe old age (he'll be 5 next tuesday) and so can now learn all kinds of fun stuff. We are deep in the throws of Snakes and Ladders, Go Fish and Snap. he's even past the point of crying when he hits a snake... just goes down and takes it like the wee man he is.
colbuki

Postby Kim Zuraw » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:26 pm

That's great Kim. My girls have actually picked up Poker. Yep I said poker....thanks to their uncle (my hubby's brother) I went out on Sat night and my hubby said they played poker and Aurora won. Ok not really the games I was hoping for but nevertheless family bonding it is.
Kim (Daquano) Zuraw
Class of '88
Kim Zuraw

poker

Postby colbuki » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:28 pm

hey... it's all good. With the current popularity of poker you are merely giving them life skills should the current trend continue. Hey, if you give them a computer in their room maybe they can make you some extra cash $$$... :lol: that on line poker is very popular :lol:
colbuki

Olly Olly ....

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:23 am

OLLY, OLLY OXEN FREE - "If you've ever wondered about the origins of this chant - used to call in all players at the end of a game of hide-and-seek - be advised that the experts only have a partial answer to your lifelong puzzlement. Word sleuths are fairly certain that the 'oxen' (or 'octen') in the call is simply a childish corruption of 'all in.' The rest remains a mystery." From "Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins" by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on File, New York, 1997).

Hi folks, checking at Copernic re Olly Olly... I found the above info and a neat link
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/index.html

Don

Re: Olly Olly ....

Postby Al Darby » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:17 am

Don Fendley wrote:Hi folks, checking at Copernic re Olly Olly... I found the above info and a neat link
Drat ...

Don's found the LARGE TEXT, I just knew it wouldn't last! :roll: :shock: :roll:
Al Darby

Next

Return to Archives - Anything in General