Quotes

Have fun and enjoy. stories, humour, comments or whatever, but keep it in good taste, this site is viewed by all ages and religions.

Moderator: Mark Llew

Postby tessa » Sun May 06, 2007 7:56 am

cool, mark. thanks.
tessa

Truer words...

Postby Mark Llew » Sun May 06, 2007 2:54 pm

"A total of 100 farmers in Wales will be able to benefit from a ₤70 cash incentive to help semen-test one of their bulls.

The funding, which is being offered on a first come first served basis..."

Welsh Assembly literature
, cited by Private Eye
Mark Llew

One-eyed, one-horned...

Postby Mark Llew » Mon May 07, 2007 1:20 pm

WARNING
When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth...

Jenny Joseph

Today is Jenny Joseph’s 75th birthday.

"I can't stand purple. It doesn't suit me." – Jenny Joseph, replying to someone who asked her if she’d be starting to wear purple soon.
Mark Llew

Postby Lisa Copland » Mon May 07, 2007 5:30 pm

Is that the origins of the Red Hat Society Mark?
Lisa Copland

Red Hat Society

Postby Mark Llew » Mon May 14, 2007 11:49 pm

Lisa Copland wrote:Is that the origins of the Red Hat Society Mark?

Yes, it is ! :D
Mark Llew

Something in the Views Debates Forum made me think of this

Postby Mark Llew » Mon May 14, 2007 11:55 pm

“La loi, dans un grand souci d'égalité, interdit aux riches comme aux pauvres de coucher sous les ponts, de mendier dans les rues et de voler du pain." – Anatole France

[“The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets or steal bread.”]
Mark Llew

Postby Guest » Tue May 15, 2007 12:06 am

They have not been to TO lately, (to enforce that law), I was on Thursday and seen at least two of these being broken, did not see anyone stealing bread!

Postby Al Darby » Tue May 15, 2007 12:19 am

Don Fendley wrote:They have not been to TO lately, (to enforce that law), I was on Thursday and seen at least two of these being broken, did not see anyone stealing bread!

"Sleeping Rough", is pretty common here in OZ, especially in Northern Queensland. In the mornings, it's not unusual to be admiring the Dolphins in the Ocean and see many people emerging from bushes and shrubs along the foreshore.
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby tessa » Tue May 15, 2007 1:03 am

i think you have misunderstood that quote.
tessa

Postby tessa » Tue May 15, 2007 2:31 am

You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free

Clarence Seward Darrow
tessa

Postby Guest » Tue May 15, 2007 11:52 am

:)
Tessa, I was just making light of the words in the quote, Sleep under bridges and beg in the streets, as I seen both on my trip to Toronto. I did not intend to get deep into the meaning. (Not a deep thinker) Al just replied to me in the same manner..
Regards,
Don

Why can't H.M. Government let well-enough alone

Postby Mark Llew » Tue May 15, 2007 5:23 pm

"My attention has been called (I have just invented this serviceable phrase) to Statutory Rules and Orders 1943 No. 1216, issued by the Ministry of Supply. You can buy it from the Stationery Office for a penny. Its operative clause runs thus:
    1. The Control of Tins Cans Kegs Drums and Packaging Pails (No. 5) Order, 1942(a), as varied by the Control of Tins Cans Kegs Drums and Packaging Pails (No. 6) Order, 1942(b), the Control of Tins Cans Kegs Drums and Packaging Pails (No. 7) Order, 1942(c), the Control of Tins Cans Kegs Drums and Packaging Pails (No. 8 ) Order, 1942(d), and the Control of Tins Cans Kegs Drums and Packaging Pails (No. 9) Order, 1942(e), is hereby further varied in the Third Schedule thereto (which is printed at p. 2 of the printed (No. 6) Order), in 'Part II. Commodities other than Food', by substituting for the reference '2A' therein, the reference '2A(1)'; and by deleting therefrom the reference '2B'.
This is excellent news, that will gladden the heart of every public-spirited citizen. Why the Ministry of Supply could not leave it at that is unimaginable. Jettisoning gratuitously the sound and time-honoured principle that a Government Department never explains, it adds – quite incredibly – an Explanatory Note, which reads:
    The above Order enables tinplate to be used for tobacco and snuff tins other than cutter-lid tobacco tins.
What is to be said of this unwarrantable insult to the national intelligence? What kind of people do they think we are? Do they suppose we can't read plain English?" – Letter to the Editor of The Spectator, 17 Sept. 1943
Mark Llew

Postby tessa » Tue May 15, 2007 7:39 pm

don! :wink:
tessa

Hmmmm

Postby Mark Llew » Wed May 16, 2007 2:54 pm

"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." – Douglas Adams
Mark Llew

A veteran's view of war

Postby Mark Llew » Wed May 16, 2007 2:57 pm

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron." – General Dwight D. Eisenhower, 34th President of the United States (1953–1961)
Mark Llew

Late, lamented

Postby Mark Llew » Wed May 16, 2007 3:00 pm

More from Douglas Adams:

"The fine cotton of her blouse was sticking like grime to her skin. Her hair felt as if she’d bought it at a fairground, on a stick."

"Solutions nearly always come from the direction you least expect, which means there's no point in trying to look in that direction because it won't be coming from there."

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."

"The room was not a room to elevate the soul. Louis XIV, to pick a name at random, would not have liked it, would have found it not sunny enough, and insufficiently full of mirrors. He would have desired someone to pick up the socks, put the records away, and maybe burn the place down. Michelangelo would have been distressed by its proportions, which were neither lofty nor shaped by any noticeable inner harmony or symmetry, other than that all parts of the room were pretty much equally full of old coffee mugs, shoes and brimming ashtrays, most of which were now sharing their tasks with each other. The walls were painted in almost precisely that shade of green which Raffaello Sanio would have bitten off his own right hand at the wrist rather than use, and Hercules, on seeing the room, would probably have returned half an hour later armed with a navigable river. It was, in short, a dump."
Mark Llew

Postby Jamie Harrison » Wed May 16, 2007 3:32 pm

Following the Adams' theme:

"Reality is frequently inaccurate."

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

"If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give 'em a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. "
Jamie Harrison

Fans of Douglas Adams

Postby Mark Llew » Wed May 16, 2007 3:53 pm

I especially like your last one, Jamie !
Mark Llew

Postby Jamie Harrison » Wed May 16, 2007 4:23 pm

I can't claim anything but admiration.
Jamie Harrison

Re: Hmmmm

Postby Lisa Copland » Wed May 16, 2007 8:44 pm

Mark Llew wrote:"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." – Douglas Adams

Okay, but who was he talking about? Could just about be any married man, couldn't it? :wink: :D :wink:
Lisa Copland

The history of a phrase

Postby Mark Llew » Sun May 20, 2007 7:36 pm

"The United States and its Coalition partners are attempting to win the hearts and minds of the people in Iraq while providing military security and support to economic and political reform programs. But some assumptions made about Iraq proved faulty, and some policy decisions were controversial and created more doubt than confidence in U.S. capabilities and intentions." – Christopher Shays (Republican, Connecticut), Chairman of the Subcommittee on National Security, Emerging Threats, and International Relations, June 2004.

And the history of the phrase...

“And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” – Bible, King James Version: Philippians, 4:7

“The Revolution was effected before the War commenced. The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments of their duties and obligations.... This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people, was the real American Revolution.” – John Adams, 2nd President of the US, February 13, 1818

"So we must be ready to fight in Viet-Nam, but the ultimate victory will depend upon the hearts and the minds of the people who actually live out there. By helping to bring them hope and electricity you are also striking a very important blow for the cause of freedom throughout the world." – Lyndon Baines Johnson, 36th President of the US, May 4 1965

“When you’ve got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.” – attributed to Richard Milhous Nixon, 37th President of the US (but probably originally said by his aide, Charles Colson), circa 1970
Mark Llew

Free Speech

Postby Mark Llew » Mon May 21, 2007 4:50 pm

"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind." – John Stuart Mill
Mark Llew

Postby tessa » Tue May 22, 2007 2:46 am

You don't know what's going on.

-Duane Michals
tessa

Postby Al Darby » Tue May 22, 2007 3:03 am

Here's a whole bunch of quotes I had emailed to me:
Wisdom of Larry, the Cable Guy

1. A day without sunshine is like night.
  2. On the other hand, you have different fingers.
  3. 42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.
  4. 99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
  5. Remember, half the people you know are below average.
  6. He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
  7. Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.
  8. The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.
  9. Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.
10. A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
11. Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.
12. If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.
13. How many of you believe in psycho-kinesis? Raise my hand.
14. OK, so what's the speed of dark?
15. When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
16. Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
17. How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges?
18. Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
19. What happens if you get scared half to death, twice?
20. Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?
21. Inside every older person is a younger person wondering, "What the hell happened?"
22. Just remember -- if the world didn't suck, we would all fall off.
23. Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
24. Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow
Al Darby
Class of '54
Al Darby
Administrator

Postby Lisa Copland » Tue May 22, 2007 8:13 am

Love those ones Al!
Lisa Copland

PreviousNext

Return to Oddz-n-Sodz