Swiss Chalet

Read Only

Swiss Chalet

Postby Phantom Gtowner » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:08 pm

There's a small article in today's Toronto Sun about our own Swiss Chalet being robbed at gunpoint by masked men on (I think) Saturday evening at midnight. Apparently a few employees were locked in a walk in freezer for about twenty minutes, then escaped. The crooks got away. Anybody else know about this?
Phantom Gtowner

Swiss Chalet

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:34 pm

I heard about this on 680 news yesterday afternoon. I've been trying to picture where the Swiss Chalet is in town. Is it on Hwy 7 somewhere across from Canadian Tire?

Al

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:04 pm

In by Harvey's just down from the Honda and Kia dealerships (formerly Beaver Lumber) just up from Tim Horton's

Postby John Ackroyd » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:25 pm

From http://www.hrps.on.ca/

Robbery Victims Confined in Freezer

At approx 11:50pm an employee of the Swiss Chalet in Georgetown was confronted by a male person at the rear of the restaurant. The suspect was pointed a gun at employee. As they entered the restaurant the suspect was joined by two other male persons, one of which was brandishing a knife.
Once inside the store the three suspects ordered the employees into the walk-in freezer and then removed an undisclosed amount of money from the store safe and cash drawer. The suspects fled from the premises. Approximately 20 minutes after the suspects’ egress the employees pushed against the freezer door, forced it open and exited the freezer. None of the employees were physically injured.
The three suspects were all in excess of 6’0” (183cms) tall; two were described as being black with the race of the third male being unknown at this time. Two had a medium builds with one having what was described as a “chubby” build. One suspect had “dark eyes” wearing ½ face mask, black in colour and a beige coat. All three used scarves to partially obscure their faces. One male was in his mid 20’s.
The police are seeking the assistance of the public in solving this callous crime. Anyone with information is asked to call Acting Detective David Shortt at (905) 878-5511 extension 2110 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (1-800-222-8477).
John Ackroyd

Postby Sarah Williams » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:26 am

Oh my goodness - I worked at Swiss Chalet years ago and I was ALWAYS scared that I would get locked in the freezer...it was freaking cold in there!! What an awful experience for those employees - I hope they catch whoever is responsible.
Sarah Williams

Re: Swiss Chalet

Postby JulieJane » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:55 am

Phantom Gtowner wrote:There's a small article in today's Toronto Sun about our own Swiss Chalet being robbed at gunpoint by masked men on (I think) Saturday evening at midnight. Apparently a few employees were locked in a walk in freezer for about twenty minutes, then escaped. The crooks got away. Anybody else know about this?

Oooh, that reminded me of an incident in Naples, Florida a few years ago. Exactly the same thing happened in the Cracker Barrel restaurant at Exit 15. Unfortunately, in that case 2 employees were shot dead. It's certainly not something you picture happening in Georgetown, Ontario. Lucky no-one here was killed.
JulieJane

same thing...

Postby deeds30 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:06 am

I was telling Dave about this and he told me that the same thing happened when he was working for Pizza Hut in Mississauga. In this case though, the employees spent the night in the freezer and the opening staff found them in the morning.
deeds30

Postby u-pickedcotton » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:34 am

I wonder if they could be charged with attempted murder.

Neil
u-pickedcotton

Swiss Chalet robbery update

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:26 pm

Caught an article in the Toronto Star on the weekend. Four young men aged 19 to 22 who were under surveillance were arrested while in the middle of a home invasion in Brampton. Some of them were in a stolen SUV at an ATM trying to get money while the others were back at the home holding the residents at gun point. It was reported that they were responsible for four or five other home invasions in the Brampton area as well as the Swiss Chalet robbery in Georgetown and another one in Markham. Police were looking for three others, two of them females.

Al.

Postby JenG » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:31 pm

Al, my neighbour was just telling me about the home invasions in the Brampton area, apparently in my neighbourhood. I had no idea. If those caught are the right people, I'm happy to hear they've been arrested.
Jennifer
Class of 1994
JenG

Postby John Ackroyd » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:35 pm

From http://www.hrps.on.ca/

For Release: March 15th, 2007

Originator: A/Det/Sgt Robert Lloyd #2853 1 District CIB 905 825 4747 ext 2419

Contact: A/Det/Sgt Robert Lloyd #2853 1 District CIB 905 825 4747 ext 2419

On February 17th, 2007, at approximately 11:50pm an employee of the Swiss Chalet in Georgetown was confronted by a male person at the rear of the restaurant. The suspect pointed a gun at employee and ordered the employee back into the restaurant. As they entered the restaurant the suspect was joined by two other male persons, one of which was brandishing a knife.

Once inside the store the three suspects ordered the employees into the walk-in freezer and then removed an undisclosed amount of money from the store safe and cash drawer. The suspects fled from the premises. Approximately 20 minutes after the suspects had fled, the employees pushed against the freezer door, forcing it to open and exited. None of the employees were physically injured.

A joint investigation was launched by members of the Peel Regional Police, York Regional Police and Halton Regional Police as it was believed that the responsible parties were active in all three regions.

On March 14, 2007, members of the Peel Regional Police Service Central Robbery Team arrested 4 parties in connection with 4 recent home invasion style robberies in the Brampton area.

Investigation revealed that two of the four parties arrested were responsible for the Swiss Chalet Robbery (320 Guelph St.) that occurred on Feb. 17/07 in Georgetown.

The two charged persons are:

Patrick KELLEHER, 20 years of Brampton
Horrainne BENNETT, 19 years of Brampton

Each party has been charged with Robbery, Assault with a Weapon, Wear Disguise, Forcible Confinement (four counts), and Conspiracy.

There is a third robbery suspect who is outstanding and who has not yet been arrested. Investigation is continuing in locating this third suspect.
John Ackroyd

Return to Archives - Georgetown @ Large